Scripture References: Matt 1:16, 18-25; 2-11, 13-14, 20-21; Matt 12:46-50; Matt 13:55; Mark 3: 31-35; Mark 6:3; Luke 1:26-56; 2:5-8, 16, 19, 22, 27, 34-35, 43-51; Luke 8: 19-20; John 2:1-5, 12; 6:42; John 19:25-27; Acts 1:14; Gal 4:4
- Mary was the chosen virgin women on whom God had His favour to bring His son Jesus Christ into this world. She was engaged to Joseph and she had the angel of the Lord – Gabriel meeting and letting her know that she will conceive and bear a son whom she will name Jesus Christ, who will be the Son of the Most High. She was the mother of the perfect child – Jesus Christ. This women had many beautiful qualities and we will see some of them.
Qualities of Mary
- Her belief and trust in the Lord
When the angel of the Lord Gabriel came to Mary, and shared the plan of her conception about the Saviour to be born; though Mary questioned the angel initially, but later she said, “Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.” And the angel departed from her.(Luke 1:38). If Mary would have thought what the society will think about her, what her to – be husband Joseph will think about her, she wouldn’t have obeyed God’s word. Mary knew who was her priority and she very well knew that if we listen to God’s word he will certainly take care of everything else. This shows that she believed the word of the Lord and trusted God’s plan.
2. Her servant heart
We can see her servant heart representing humbleness in various incidents. Firstly, when the angel of the Lord visited her she humbled herself and said behold I m the servant of the Lord and let it be according to the word. She was the chosen vessel of God to fulfil His plan but she didn’t possess any pride. Secondly, we see her humble heart during the birth of Jesus when she had to deliver him in a manager, not everyone will be ready for this.
3. Her godly influence on her children
We see a godly influence of Mary upon Jesus from the time of His birth till His death. Mary knew everything about Jesus as she heard from Simeon the Prophet. We see that in Luke 2:34; And Simeon blessed them and said to Mary his mother, “Behold, this child is appointed for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is opposed”. She knew that Jesus was a Spiritual being and he has to go through a lot of suffering. As a mother it would have hurt her but she pondered on all those words and tried her best in being a good godly mother. We see that in no point she was a stumbling block in fulfilling the plan of God in the life of Jesus. Even in the wedding At Cana, Mary knew very well whom to approach when the wine was in shortage. During the crucifixion of Jesus, even though everyone left him, she was present there. Not only Jesus but she brought up her other children in godly ways like James and Jude. All this points out her motherly love and godly influence to her children.
4. Her Worship
We see Mary was a women who knew God and she took God’s word seriously and she meditated the word of God. Only out of devoted meditation comes true worship. And we see that in the life of Mary in her praise and worship unto the Lord in the form of a song. In Luke 1: 46, the Magnificat, the song which Mary sings she thanks and praises God for every act of His upon her life.
- We must learn to trust and believe in the word of the Lord from the life of Mary. God’s timing is perfect, we have to humbly and faithfully submit to Him and believe that He will take care of everything when we submit to His calling.
- For a Christian, having a servant heart is very important. From the life of Jesus and Mary we must learn to have servant heart, be sacrificial and humble. Mary never boasted about what God has accomplished through her, neither she boasted about being the mother of Jesus. She realized she’s only an instrument in God’s hand to fulfil His purpose. She humbled herself and gave all glory to God. We must pray that God must make us humble and learn to submit ourselves to be His instrument for fulfilling His purposes upon our life.
- Yes, Mary was a godly influence and a good mother to Jesus. But this has been wrongly understood by many and they worship Mary above Jesus. We must understand she was just a human like us and not divine, but she found favour in the eyes of the Lord. The favour she found was not because of her own virtues but it was the grace of God.
- Our meditation on the word of God is so important. It is a means for true worship. Mary pondered, meditated and believed every word of God. We must learn this important quality from the life of Mary. If she would’ve been there today, she would have really felt bad for people worshiping her and considering her to be divine, because she herself acknowledged how poor and lowly she is and worshipped God instead.